Friday, April 6, 2018

Young Adult - The Miseducation of Cameron Post

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

Summary:
  • Cameron Post is surprised that when she hears of the death of her parents, her first emotion is relief. They will never know that just a few hours before, she was kissing another girl. After relief, Cameron feels only guilt- did she cause this to happen? Growing up as a closeted lesbian in rural Montana in the late 80's, Cameron grows into a somewhat rebellious teen that expresses herself and her trauma through VHS films, decorating an old dollhouse with stolen objects, and breaking into abandoned buildings. Her guardians include born-again-Christian Aunt Ruth and her sympathetic Grandma Post. With the addition of Aunt Ruth to the family, they all begin attending a new church, where Cameron's guilt intensifies as she listens to the occasional sermon about the sins of homosexuality. When Coley Taylor moves to town and Cameron develops a crush, she sparks a chain of events that eventually lands her in God's Promise, a camp to "cure" homosexual teens.

Young Adult Characteristics:
  • Main characters are teenagers
  • Coming-of-age story
  • Issues teen readers can relate to

Read-a-Likes:
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
  • If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown


Reader's Opinion:
  • As someone who is usually a fantasy reader, I really have to have the right kind of realistic book to get into it. This book accomplished that. I was invested in Cameron's story, but also had a huge appreciation for the description of the setting- rural Montana in the late 80's/early 90's reminded me of my rural childhood and really hit home, especially with all the little details that Danforth included. Danforth also does a wonderful job of showing how guilt can affect a teen in a multitude of ways. Even though Cameron grows so much throughout the book and finds a new confidence, I was left wanting by the ending, which almost begs for a sequel to wrap up loose ends. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to someone of any age or sexuality. 

2 comments:

  1. You know, as many times as I've seen this cover and title, I've never known what it was about! I'm a big fantasy reader as well, so I'm like you--I need a really engaging realistic book to get me away from the fantasy--and this sounds like one! I especially like your readalike suggestions, especially Simon. What's the tone of this like? I know Simon and Georgia Peaches are relatively light, so I'm curious how this compares?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job! This isn't one I've read. Full points!!

    ReplyDelete