Saturday, April 21, 2018

Week Fifteen

  1. I think a fun way to market fiction is relevant displays. For instance, one of the most popular movies currently is "A Quiet Place." A fiction display with books drawing on the elements from the movie would likely be popular with patrons who want a light horror read or a book that includes representation for the deaf community or ASL users.
  2. Fiction book clubs that don't focus on just one book can be a great way to get people talking about fiction, especially if they take place in fun locations. My library's most popular book club, "Books on Tap," appeals especially to millennials since it takes place in a local downtown cafe that serves food, coffee, and alcohol. Book clubs can be marketed to any age with the right components, and once the librarian in charge of the program gets to know regulars, they can bring along suggestions for a next book to read.
  3. A great tool would be the ability to attach a patron's account to their Goodreads account, or offer another way of tracking reading (if the patron opts in, of course). Using this, patrons could receive e-mails every now and then with automated reading recommendations, perhaps drawing on the algorithms already used by Goodreads or Novelist.

5 comments:

  1. I think the Books on Tap idea is awesome because it shows the library out in the community. It also shrugs off the perception of librarians as mousy people with no social skills! I think your comment about matching the program to the target market with the right components is key for a successful book club and developing interest in the fiction collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I am one of those "patrons" who would love it if my Goodreads account could be attached to my library account. In addition, I wish my Goodreads "Want to Read" list would sync with my "Overdrive Wish List." I think with Web 2.0, all of this is possible, but I'm sure there are licensing and privacy issues that would have to be taken into consideration. Whenever it's possible, though, I'll be first in line to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I am in love with the Goodreads idea! I don't use Goodreads right now, but if this was an option for RA, I would totally re-sign up and link those accounts. :)

    Would the email be autogenerated by Goodreads, though, or curated by a librarian? Because while I enjoy Goodreads, I'm not always thrilled with their suggestions; I think I'd prefer a librarian's input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of being able to tie a patron's account to their Goodreads account or such if they want. I have had several patrons ask if we have a list of what they have returned because they want to get a book back out, but don't remember what it was. This would be a great way for patrons to be able to look back over what they have read.

    ReplyDelete