Saturday, February 3, 2018

Week Four - Secret Shopper

For my secret shopper, I went to a different library in my county. I was seeking a recommendation for a romance for week six of the course. The librarian was very helpful, asking first if I wanted something modern or historical- I replied historical. At this point, she recommended Mary Balogh, who typically writes regency novels. I asked for backup choices in case it didn't catch my attention, so the librarian asked if I had any favorite historical time periods. Since I've been binge watching Vikings, I suggested something with that time period.

When a search for Viking based novels didn't bring up much, the librarian asked how I felt about romances set in Scotland. I decided to roll with it and see what there might be. The initial books didn't seem like what I was in the mood to read, but eventually, the librarian suggested Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I have started to read it and love it so far!

What I liked about this encounter was that the librarian got a sense that I wasn't crazy about her first recommendations, without me really saying so. I felt that she wanted me to really be excited about something to read, so she kept at it and was friendly and upbeat the entire time. It also helped that her final recommendation was a book she had actually read, so she was able to convey her own appreciation for it. Overall, I was impressed and would consider going back in the future if I ever find myself unsure of what to read next.

4 comments:

  1. There is definitely value in being able to recommend out of your own experience, since the patron can feel the enthusiasm, but it also sounds like she did a good job thinking on her feet, making a connection between Vikings and Outlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! Not entirely class related, but how do you get italics into your blog comments? It pains me not to use them with book titles, but I haven't been able to figure it out!!

      Delete
  2. Wow - it sounds like you had a pretty great experience! Obviously it's important that she knows her stuff, but enthusiasm is contagious, and it makes me really happy to know your librarian was enthusiastic about your interaction. I just read Outlander a few months ago. I'm looking forward to reading your annotation and maybe we can chat about it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a pleasant experience and got a few good takeaways! I can't wait to read your annotation on Outlander!

    ReplyDelete