Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Romance - Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Summary:
  • Claire Randall is enjoying a second honeymoon with her husband, Frank, after both of them served for Britain in World War II. Frank is a historian, eager to research more about his family tree, and Claire is a nurse with a newfound interest in botany. On an expedition to see ancient standing stones sacred to the local populace, they observe a Beltane ritual performed by residents who still keep with old druid ways. When Claire returns to the site later, seeking a curious plant, she is transported back in time through the stones to Scotland in 1743, when the nation is on the cusp of a second Jacobite uprising. She meets the MacKenzie clan, a squad of British Dragoons that include her husband's ancestor, and Jamie Fraser, a handsome clansman with a price on his head for murder. Claire quickly becomes involved in the local political scene due to the assumption that she is an English spy, and she finds herself falling for Jamie, despite her conflicting desire to get back to her own time period- and back to Frank.
 Romance Characteristics:
  • The characters have a "type" - Claire is a smart and independent woman with her own skillset, while Jamie is a rugged, handsome, Highland warrior. 
  • The time or place draws the reader in. In this case, the setting is 1700's Scotland, at a time when the usual way of life is being threatened. 
  • Language sets the stage, with a steamy tone throughout the scenes with Claire and Jamie. 
  • Readers are heavily invested in the emotions- we go from struggling with Claire about betraying Frank to rooting for her to fall in love with Jamie. 
  • The story is character-driven. Although the world is happening around them, the decisions the characters make propel the story forward.
Read-a-likes:
  • A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
  • Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
  • The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley
  • Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connell

Reader's Opinion:
  • I adored this novel. For me, it had a perfect balance of a dramatic love story with an intriguing adventure. I also love strong world-building, and Gabaldon's characters and setting felt very real to me with how she wrote them. Although I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to people falling in love very quickly before really getting to know one another, I found myself very invested in the relationship between Claire and Jamie that developed. They felt genuine. I liked Claire's character overall, with her having some traditional romance novel traits of being headstrong and independent. But, the book did not lack for other strong women in leading roles, with Jenny, Jamie's sister, being one of my personal favorites. Overall, I think this book has a wide appeal because of how many genres it includes, and I could see myself recommending it in a number of situations.

12 comments:

  1. I am SO GLAD you reviewed Outlander! There is a renewed interest because of the show, and many of my patrons ask for it, but I honestly didn't know much about it, just that it was set in Scotland. I had no idea this was a "transported back in time" story! That puts an entirely new perspective on it. I may even be able to convince a broader readership with that in mind. Furthermore, that plotline about her falling in love with her husband's ancestor is riveting! I also appreciate those read-alikes, because there are the inevitable people who have read all the Outlander series, and want more! You did a great job with this, and I feel like even though I haven't read it yet I can feel a little more confident about recommending it or talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandy! If you're like me and you aren't much of a romance reader, this book has so many other genres mixed in that it's still a wonderful read, enough that I'm planning on going through with the rest of the series!
      Her husband's ancestor is interesting, though... Claire falls in love with a highlander, while her husband's ancestor actually is one of the primary villains! It makes things pretty complicated!

      Delete
  2. There has been a lot of interest in the series at the library since the tv show started. I had to find out the reading order several times, before we printed the order so we would have it on hand. I haven't ever read or watch it, but it sounds very interesting. I might have to either read the book or watch the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if someone was going to review Outlander! I've not read the book or watched the TV show, but it's on my list if it's not too risque. I love the idea that it is a time-travel book, and set in Scotland! My family is very Scottish (we have our own Tartan), so I am always interested in the different books that are set in that country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a A LOT of sex in the Outlander books, especially as the series gets going. I don't know what you consider risque, but just throwing that out there :)

      Delete
    2. Hi D.M. Yep, lots of sex. Jamie and Claire have a healthy sex life and a very loving relationship. I understand people having their triggers as to what they don't want to read. I read animal rights books with graphic examples of animal abuse because that is an issue I care deeply about, but I will not read about animal cruelty in fiction or in any book I am reading for entertainment. Also, as someone who is no longer religious I try to avoid any books with religious characters and/or situations.

      Delete
    3. I think you might enjoy the historical aspects of the book! Since Claire is interested in botany, we get a nice explanation of lots of the local medicine at the time. It has a nice balance of culture and politics and a good glimpse into how life was in 1700's Scotland.
      There is quite a bit of sex, especially later in the books, and there is a gruesome scene that occurs between Jamie and Jack Randall. I personally had a more difficult time with the injury/medical scenes than anything else!

      Delete
  4. I always love when people like my favorite books. I started reading this series when it first came out and a friend introduced me to them. In my opinion, they're an interesting blend of history, romance, and even sci-fi. As the series goes on, there is a lot more to the time traveling element that I find fascinating. Romance books often have a character that seems "out of place" in their society finding someone who appreciates them for that (at least in the ones I've read) and this book does a good job of exploring that, while not letting Claire lose what makes her "modern."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily, I agree! I picked up a few novels that were actually in the romance section at my library (we have Outlander under general fiction since it's not really into any one category) and found that I just didn't care about what happened to the characters. I was intrigued by Claire and that kept me reading more than anything- I wanted to see how she navigated her world, especially considering how superstitious the people of that time period were! Although to be fair, if someone arrived in my world and said they were a time traveler, I'd be pretty skeptical too.

      Delete
  5. Hi Amy! I love Outlander and read it years and years ago before the tv series and probably before there was a Starz network, lol. How did you get through Jack Randall & Jamie at the prison? That was so hard for me to read. Have you been watching the series? I thought they did a very good job with the material and I was surprised they went there. They did a darn good job casting Tobias Menzies in the role of Jack. I do love Sam, but he's not the Jamie I've had in my head all these years. I loved it in the book that Claire is frustrated by Frank's genealogy obsession since I have a mother who drives me crazy about our family tree that she is always researching. As a romance reader and someone who visits romance sites I feel safe in saying Jamie is one of the most loved hero's in all romance. You read a good one! Are you going to continue with the series? Oh, and I love Jenny too! Jamie deserves everything she gives him! I've read so many complaints about the book being written in first person. Did that annoy you? Lots of romance readers do not like Claire, but I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I did start watching the series, and I'm finding it to be pretty spot on with the books, so I'm actually impressed!
      I did have a difficult time with the fact that he plays both Jack and Frank... I think it's incredibly effective at invoking the right emotions, but at the same time, genes only get you so far with that many generations!
      I definitely will continue with the series when I have the time! I prefer first person novels since I think it enables me to get in the reader's head more, and I also like Claire! She has her moments, but so do most other characters- it would be boring to me to think she wasn't flawed or wrong in any way.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic annotation that had quite a few comments. This is a perfect example of romance. Full points!

    ReplyDelete