Friday, March 16, 2018

Fantasy - The Bear and the Nightingale

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

Summary:
  • Deep in the wilderness of early Russia, Vasilisa Petrovna is the youngest daughter, cared for by her father, four older siblings, and kind old nurse. Vasya's mother died in childbirth, but the rumors surrounding her heritage point to her being the daughter of a witch. Vasya finds that, like her grandmother, she too possesses an ability for things unseen. She is the only one that can see and speak to the spirits of the house, stable, and forest, though everyone else considers them to be just stories. Dunya, Vasya's nurse, spins tales not only of household spirits, but also of the great frost king, who preys on young girls. Vasya's world is shattered when her father decides to remarry, finding a wife in the royal courts of Moscow who is a devout Catholic. Vasya's new stepmother, Anna, can also see the spirits, but considers them evil demons to be feared. She forbids the worship of the spirits, sending the village into chaos as evil begins to descend upon it. Only Vasya can use her abilities to save her people.  

Fantasy Characteristics:
  • We are deeply immersed into a descriptive world where magic is real.
  • The story features good versus evil as Vasya is set up to battle several evil forces. 
  • Characters attain magical gifts- for Vasya, this is first in the form of a pendant, but other abilities are hinted at later on. 
  • The book has a slow start- Vasya is not even born at the beginning, and we bear witness to several pieces of her childhood to set the scene. 
  • The sequel to this book continues the story. 
  • Vasya embarks on a quest. 

Read-a-Likes:
  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik
  • A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
  • Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Reader's Opinion:
  • I love stories based on folklore and fairy tales, so the culture of this book was exceptionally beautiful to me. I am unfamiliar with Russian myths and enjoyed finding out more. Vasya is a likable character who balances her intelligence with wit and boldness. The book did lose me a little near the end when the pacing abruptly changed and a romance that didn't make sense was hinted at. I may consider reading the rest of the trilogy, but it's not a priority. 

3 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I'm so glad that you annotated this book! Ever since I saw the cover art, I've been interested in it. The Russian fairy tales and folk stories weren't really as common in my childhood as the German ones (especially those which Disney used), but I've come to love the richness of the culture. The summary you posted makes me even more sure that I want to add it to my TBR pile. I also saw that you included 'Shadow and Bone' as one of your fiction read alikes! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I was so close to annotating this book for fantasy. I went to grab it to read and it was checked out, so I had to choose another one. I am so happy to see your annotation, however, because I have every intention of still reading it, and good to know that you are reviewing it well. I actually had a minor in folklore in my undergraduate, with a huge passion for it. I was especially reassured by your mention of the fact that there is good depth to the Russian culture, which tells me that she did her research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent annotation! Full points! I love that you include your opinion at the end. It helps give that little extra touch, I'm glad you enjoyed it! This has been on my tbr pile for a while!

    ReplyDelete